Things you may associate with winter: snow, Christmas trees, hot cocoa, hats & scarfs, scraping ice from your car window, ice skating and an increased number of homes being burgled. While one of these is clearly not like the other it’s, unfortunately, true that the winter months often see an increase in home break-ins and robberies. There are many reasons that contribute to this.
- Darker nights allow criminals to recognise when a home is likely unoccupied due to their lights being off
- In the lead up to Christmas, there is an increased likelihood of homes containing valuable items in the form of Christmas gifts
- Some choose to escape the cold and go on holiday during winter, leaving their property unoccupied
- Increased visits to friends and family over the festive period can potentially cause your home to be more vulnerable
- It can be a difficult time of year financially for some, which may lead them to turn to crime in their desperation
There are of course things you can do to lower your risk of being robbed.
- Leave your lights on when you’re not home
- Ensure valuables and other items such as Christmas gifts are out of view
- Check that every door and window is locked before you leave
- Avoid using social media in a way that may advertise the fact you’re not at home
- External motion sensor lights triggered by anybody entering your property
While it’s recommended that these measures are consistently followed, they are still not always enough to deter criminals. You can increase the security of your property in Dorset or Hampshire enormously with effective home security solutions.
Intruder Alarm Options
An intruder alarm can offer you and your family peace of mind that your home is protected. They detect when an unauthorised person is attempting to enter your home and raise the alarm. There are different types of intruder alarm systems available. From bells-only alarms, which produce an audible alarm to alert those nearby of the intruder, to monitored alarms whereby a dedicated company monitors the status of your alarm 24/7, alerting the authorities if it is triggered. You can decide on the intruder alarm system that best suits your needs and your budget.
CCTV systems are the most powerful deterrent when it comes to preventing your home from being broken into, according to former burglars. With the danger of immediately being caught on camera, they would usually instead target a property with much less risk attached. CCTV security systems come with different capabilities, giving you many different options based on how you will use it and how much you’d like to spend. With some CCTV systems offering the ability to view the feed directly via your mobile phone or tablet you will never feel more in control of the security of your property.
At Custom Fire & Security we can provide a complete design, installation and maintenance service for a wide range of intruder alarms and CCTV systems in Dorset & Hampshire. Our team of experts can offer advice and recommendations on what alarm systems will best suit the needs of you and your home. Contact us today to discuss our home security services.